Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Staying at home

Sometimes as a Stay-at-Home-Mom I wonder if I am giving my child enough. Is she getting enough stimulation every day? Is it wrong that I am her primary companion?

I mean, she has friends, but not the *see you every day* kind. But does that matter at age 2-1/2? She knows who her friends are, she talks about them regularly. Can she even tell that she hasn't seen them in a few weeks? A few days? Longer?

I am not exactly homeschooling. That's pretty big in the South. But we don't have a set curriculum. We don't do the same things regularly, we just sort of go with the flow. Is that okay? I mean, I feel like it is, and I know she's advancing, but there are some days (like when we were sick these last few weeks) when it seems like Dora and Diego are the only ones talking. That's a bit harsh, I'm exaggerating. My child speaks so often during the day that there have been moments where I am on overload. I'm not even sure where to begin with answers to her questions, or activities for her to do next.

But I am her primary teacher. Officially or not. Aren't all parents for their kids? Don't we all guide them, especially during these early years? Whether they're in school or not, whether we work out of the house, in the house, or not at all? It's amazing how when they start to seem older, more grown-up, if you will, that we start to question whether we offer them enough. I know I try. I know I give her as much as I can. But sometimes ... well ... I just question it. But I'll keep on trying and keep on trucking. So what if she learns her Spanish from Nick Jr? I'm the one who is reinforcing it in conversation. I'm the one who is answering her. So it's okay. For now, anyway.

In the meantime, Diego is waiting for us. And I need to get back to my art-work. Because, apparently, I'm the person in her world who can draw anything, at any time. People, animals, cartoon characters ... I'm your woman. And I'll tell ya', I kind of like being that go-to-gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment